Louisiana's Veteran Initiative (LAVETBIZ) is a certification program that is designed to help eligible Louisiana Veteran-owned and Service-Connected Disabled-Veteran-owned small businesses gain greater access to purchasing and contracting opportunities that are available at the state government level.
- Your business and contact information will be accessible to state purchasing officials and prime contractors who are looking for subcontractors.
- State agencies are encouraged to get quotes from and use qualified, certified companies whenever possible.
- For small purchases (less than $15,000), state agencies can waive the required additional quotes if a certified company submits a quote that is reasonable.
- 12% of the total evaluation points can be added to your bid on a Request for Proposal (RFP).
- Prime contractors who use your business as a subcontractor on a bid for an RFP are also eligible to receive additional percentage points on their bid.
The program is open to all Louisiana businesses that meet the following eligibility requirements for a Small Entrepreneurship (SE) under the Veteran Initiative. Once certified, business owners are required to submit annual updates through www.ledsmallbiz.com. Failure to submit the required information before your anniversary date each year will result in termination of your certification
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Veteran Ownership – at least 51% of the business must be owned by a veteran
- Principal Place of Business – the company must have its principal place of business in Louisiana
- Employees – the company must have fewer than 50 full-time employees
- Average Annual Gross Receipts – average annual gross receipts must not exceed $6 million for non construction and $10 million for construction companies
- Independently Owned and Operated – the business must be independently owned and operated
- Not Dominant – the business must not be dominant in its professional field
- Louisiana Residency – the business must be owned by persons domiciled in Louisiana
- Citizenship – the business must be owned by and have officers who are U.S. citizens or legal residents
Service-Connected Disabled Veteran
This is an additional distinction available within the Veteran Initiative for Service-Connected Disabled-Veteran-owned businesses. To qualify, the business must meet all of the requirements above, as well as the following:
- Service-Connected Disabled-Veteran-Owned – At least 51% of the business must be owned by a Service-Connected Disabled Veteran
Program Statutes & Rules:
All incentive program rules are in the Louisiana Administrative Code maintained by the Office of the State Register.
- View the Veteran Initiative Statutes
- View the Titles of the Louisiana Administrative Code
- Choose Title 19, Corporations and Business
- Rules for the Veteran Initiative can be found in Part IX
To take advantage of Louisiana's Veteran Initiative and to gain greater access to purchasing and contracting opportunities with the state government, complete the online application at www.ledsmallbiz.com
For more information on the Veteran Initiative, contact: